Monday, August 20, 2012

10-Year High School Reunion

I really don't think that this story could do the day justice, but I will give it my best shot!...beware, it's a LONG one :)

I started the day off in Destin, Florida as I was there for my sister's bachelorette party the night before. I flew to Atlanta and landed around 1:30. Josh flew into Atlanta from Houston and arrived about the same time. Our flights were both on-time and on-schedule, which was great because both airports (Houston and Fort Walton Beach) were SLAMMED and way understaffed! It took me 40 minutes just to check my bag...crazy! But, we made it safe and sound...and most importantly, punctually.

We drove to my parent's house in Suwanee to re-pack, pick up the spare car, and say bye to the girls before making our way to the Westin Peachtree Plaza where we were staying for the night. We get to the Westin and relax a bit before getting ready for the party. We went up to the 72nd floor (well, the lounge was technically on the 73rd floor) to have a drink at the Sun Dial restaurant which overlooks the city of Atlanta. The view from the restaurant is unbeatable! We even ran into one of my parent's good family friends, and it was great to see a familiar face and catch up.
view from the Sun Dial
pretty drink
After our drink, we were ready to make our way to Panchos restaurant to meet up with our good friends to eat dinner and have another drink before the reunion. We hailed a cab outside of the hotel and started making our way up 85 north to get to Panchos. We didn't make it very far on 85 before we came to a screeching halt. It took us about 40 minutes to go less than a mile, and I knew that we were in trouble. Little did we know, a bad wreck completely shut down the interstate and all of the cars were having to exit the same exit we were needing to take...epic FAIL.
the girls at Panchos
We sat in this awful parking lot for an hour and a half and moved a good 5 miles (maybe), and I decided that we had to get out or else we would miss the entire party. The cab fare meeter was creeping up by the second, and not so slowly might I add! I decided, and Josh reluctantly agreed, that we were going to walk the remaining mile to our exit. So, we paid the driver (waaaay more than we should have!), got out and started walking. I was surprisingly calm and okay with the walk. The weather couldn't have been more perfect for a mid-August evening, so we didn't even break a sweat (thank goodness!).
Again, little did we know, the exit ramp went on MUCH further than we had originally anticipated. We started to panic just a bit when a sweet lady about in her 40s pulled up to us and asked us for a ride. Of course, I really surprised myself again when I didn't hesitate to say yes. She seemed harmless, and we were a bit desperate. She even had cold waters in her purse and console waiting for us...I'm convinced that Jesus himself plucked her out of the sky and placed her conveniently in our path, seriously! She was an angel, and a life-savor, and I wish that we got more of her name than just Donna.
Donna dropped us off at Panchos, and we were SO excited and ready to see our friends!! We had a great time socializing with our group before heading over to the Sweetwater Brewery for our reunion. It was such a perfect place for it, and I loved how our name tags had our senior year book pictures on them! The venue was so awesome, and we were blessed to have an open bar full of beer that was brewed on site and also a delicious taco bar. It was SO much fun catching up with everyone, and even though I see and talk with a lot of people that were there on facebook, it was nice to have face to face conversations! Everyone seemed to be doing awesome, and it was so much fun reminiscing about high school. Somehow, we even managed everyone to get together for a group picture (although I think some people were hiding in the back!). I didn't bring my big, heavy, fancy camera, so we did the best we could with my mom's point and shoot that I borrowed!
signs from our homecoming float senior year
class picture
After the reunion, we went to the Ivy to continue the party. I didn't want the night to end, it was that much fun! We didn't get back to our hotel until after 2am, but it was well worth it. We slept in until 10am the next day and were woken up to the knock of our room service being served. It was such a great night, and I'm already looking forward to the next one!
room service
nametags
our hotel room

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...